Meet Dr. Matos
An honor student, Dr. Matos attended NYU for his undergraduate and graduate studies. Then he earned his post-doctoral certificate in Orthodontics from Boston University’s Goldman School of Graduate Dentistry.
Dentistry has become a family business – his brother is an oral surgeon, his sister is a pediatric dentist and his wife is a periodontist. Orthodontics is something he wanted to do all his life: “I remember being impressed by my orthodontist when I was a child. Even then, I liked the conservative nature of orthodontics: full-mouth reconstruction using existing materials – the teeth. I think of it as healthful and green.” Speaking of green, his house is outfitted with an extensive solar array, providing clean and renewable energy to his and neighboring houses.
Dr. Matos enjoys spending time with his wife, Vicky, and children: Sofia, Theodora and John. He enjoys gardening and landscaping at his Long Island home. He has maintained his family’s tradition of winemaking with his father and siblings at his parent’s house in New Jersey; brewing beer is another pastime. Restoring his antique car and music are also in the mix.
His soundtrack? Classic rock’n'roll, old-school rap and jazz.
Education / Affiliations
- Graduated from New York University’s College of Arts and Sciences with honors and a Bachelor of Science in Psychology.
- Graduated from New York University’s College of Dentistry in 1997 with honors in Orthodontics. Achieved a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree with the distinction of induction into Omicron Kappa Upsilon – the National Dental Honor Society.
- Earned his Certificate of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics from Boston University’s Goldman School of Graduate Dentistry in 1999.
He also maintains active membership in:
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honor Dental Society
- American Dental Association
- New Jersey Dental Association
- Dental Society of the State of New York
- Union County Dental Society
- Elizabeth Interdisciplinary Study Club
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Lingual Orthodontic Association
- Northeastern Society of Orthodontists
- Mid-Atlantic Society of Orthodontists
- New Jersey Orthodontists Association
- New York Academy of Dentistry
- Portuguese Lions Club of Elizabeth